Cookie Safety Score.
CookieCert provides a cookie safety score for all sites we audit. This score is created using a proprietary algorithm informed by multiple data points, and rates the overall risk level of the site for cookie related activity.
(1 Star - Highest Risk, 5 Star - Lowest Risk)
The following factors are taken into account when computing the safety score:
- Total number of cookies created
- Types of cookies created (permanent of session based)
- Total number of pages audited
- Total number of third party cookies created and third party services used
- Type of third party services used (e.g. ad networks VS social widgets)
- Safety score of affiliated third party sites and companies
- Site category/industry
- Site industry affiliations (such as IAB, ICO, trustE, etc.)
- Virus and malware reports
Companies wishing to integrate the Cookie Safety Rating into their applications can do so via our API.
How can I improve my score?
There are a few general rules of thumb that will help your score:
- If you haven't already then get a complete cookie audit. A full audit will usually reduce the number of cookies-per-page found, which is a factor in the scoring.
- Provide clear explanation of your sites cookies (ideally with the ability to see them directly and opt-out)
- Don't affiliate with third party companies who have bad reputation
- Allow CookieCert to do a more complete audit of your site
- Remove any superfluous tracking cookies
- Use session cookies instead of permanent cookies wherever possible